My Etsy Shop

Friday, January 14, 2011

How This All Started

Unemployment happened. We moved across the country for my husbands new job and an exciting new adventure.  I did not have a job at the time and started my search, which turns out is pretty much a full time job. At one point, I decided to make it NOT a full time job, because that was not very fun, and decided to start doing other things too. Not including cooking, cleaning, blah blah housewife stuff, which is still fun, but not as fun as say, learning how to sew. So I started to teach myself, starting with my sewing machine manual, and some cheap remnant fabric, I taught myself to sew. Thanks to You Tube and all those friendly tutorial people, I learned a thing or two.


So, my husband came home from work one day and I ran up to him all excited. I had this fabric...thing.. in my hand that I had somehow made. The conversation went something like this...

Me: "Look, I learned how to use my sewing machine today!"

My husband: "Wow baby, how's the job search? Ahem, I mean, that is so awesome, what is it?"

Me: "I don't know, but it has two different colors, and ... I used my sewing machine today!"

My husband: "That could be like a really cool laptop case"

Me: "OK, that's what it is then!"

And here I am, making laptop cases, thanks to my husband seeing something in, well...honestly, not much. At least not that day. Today I am making cases with pockets, straps, buttons (that was not easy to learn don't ask me why I chose to challenge a beginner with button-learning), and much more! Straps are a pain, but I try, since I went for the name Scraps and Straps I guess I should.

I hope you enjoy my products and you get inspired to try something new and go with it one day too!

1 comment:

  1. LOL. I mean really. Jono and I both just read this and were laughing out loud together. LOVE your sewing initiative! Definitely a big SCRAPS & STRAPS fan!

    ReplyDelete