My Etsy Shop

Monday, September 10, 2012

Machine Basics - Check!

Thank you PDX Seamsters for my first official sewing machine education course.

Everything I knew up until yesterday, I taught myself. I'm doing SOMEthing right because I can do a lot of things in the sewing world that I never could before. I can cut fabric properly, press projects, sew in a straight line, read patterns, all foreign to me just a year or two ago.

So even though I know a lot, there is always something new to learn in the world of sewing. I decided to step up my game and learn from a real professional seamstress.

Machine Basics course was yesterday, first of four sessions. I took my sewing machine for a ride and we learned. I got a lot of good practice time in and learned a lot of things I didn't know about my Brother.

We started with a few simple things I've already done such as winding the bobbin, threading the needle, but I took advantage and asked questions about my sewing machine that I hadn't already learned from the handbook.

We practiced on a few pieces of fabric, different stitches, stitch length, the importance of slow vs fast stitching, a few other technical things. I messed around with some weird stitches I didn't know my machine had.

We made circles (harder than it looks), turned corners, made a labyrinth, and a mini pillow pocket. We even learned an advanced technique called easing, which is good for making sleeves and clothes, something new to me.
Mini pillow pocket. Sewn shut with slip stitch.
Easing...
My favorite was the slip stitch, so now I can finish my projects with a neat, hidden hand sewing technique.

Next week, Sewing Essentials, we'll learn zippers, casings, darts, and buttonholes. Also some things I already sort of know, but also - taught myself. Excited for this session, zippers intimidate me!

No comments:

Post a Comment